Our thoughts on Pepsi's tone-deaf commercial lead us into a broader discussion about representation in pop culture. From the Fast & Furious franchise to Shondaland, we cover some ground and expand upon the idea that seeing yourself represented on screen is a form of validation. Finally, CNN's Jeffrey Lord has us wondering what it takes to effectively create and communicate empathy in conversations about race.
- Pepsi (2:10)
- Representation in Pop Culture (12:30)
- CNN & Jeffrey Lord (27:00)
- Pepsi Commercial - SNL (YouTube)
- 'Furious 7' Audience 75 Percent Non-White: Inside the Diversity Stats (The Hollywood Reporter)
- The Feminist Heroines of Shondaland (Study Breaks)
- Don Lemon, CNN, Jeffrey Lord... (YouTube)
If you have any feedback, questions, comments, insights, opinions, or other cleverly worded sentences you’d like us to read, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Intro/Outro licensed by AudioNetwork. "Good Time" - Andy Cooper, Pablo Love, Campbell E Browning